Monday, March 1, 2010

Breast Feeding Does Work : )

Tomorrow marks Raymond's one month birthday! We went to the doctor today to have his well visit - a trip that I have been a little afraid of despite knowing that he seems to be doing well. At these well visits they weigh the baby and let you know if they are gaining the "right" amount of weight. As a breast feeding mother there is no way for me to be certain about the amount of milk going into Baby Raymond - yes, I can look at what is coming out to know he is getting something - but it is nerve racking just the same. A couple of times a week Morgan gives him a bottle and I then know he is getting X amount of pumped milk, but otherwise it is all on faith.




And then there is the spit up. You know that babies spit up, you see little bits of it around the wee ones over the years. But you do not know the sadness of a new mom whose entire life is dedicated (happily) to feeding her child and then to see it come up again and again and again. Even if you are giving them enough milk to grow, how can they be getting what they need if they can keep it down!



My mind, my fears and my inexperience have had my mind racing over the past two weeks worried SICK that I was not providing enough for Raymond. I some found comfort in talking to good friends who are also breast feeding and resources online - but the scale has been looming. Raymond’s big one month weigh in ...



and the results are GREAT!



Raymond:



Weight -



Birth: 7 lbs, 7 oz

One Month: 9 lbs, 10 oz



Length (guess they can say height until he stands up!)



Birth: 20 1/4 inches

One Month: 21 1/2 inches



YAY! My boy is growing well and god's resource, a mother's breast milk, works! There is something very confidence building about these results for me. I wonder how big he'll be on April 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment