Thursday, November 19, 2009

Slow House

Okay, so I am a slow un-packer. We are slowly acquiring furniture and other items to fill on our house, and honestly it has not be as much fun as it could be without having Morgan here all the time. As he is home all this weekend I hope that we will knock out a lot of the remaining unpacking and do something with the yard. The grass is tall, the leaves have fallen, and the plants need to be cut back. I think I might have to make a trip to Lowe's today to get a rake and some other supplies to make our weekend productive. Of course, I have no idea what to do with the yard - at least Morgan had landscaping experience after college, but I honestly don't think he really has that much of a clue either :)

Anyway. Things are, however, slowly coming together. I knocked out the kitchen the first day - thank GOD. Mom came up and brought more furniture and some family heirlooms to fill in our home as well as treating us to new Italian leather couches, chairs for the living room (which haven't arrived yet), bookcases and among other things.

The bookcases required assembly and I was damned determined to do it on Monday. Putting one together took me 4 hours, several power tools and now the whole neighborhood knows I can have a mouth like a sailor. At least it was sunny and I was outside. Luckily later that afternoon Amy Vaden came into town and the next day she was able to put the second one together in an hour, without the use of power tools until the very end. Apparently I kept stripping the screws because the bit on the drill was the wrong size. Who knew?

I swear I used to be more self sufficient.

Anyway. The bookcases are complete! And the library/music room is almost perfect! We still need to get the guitars on the wall, figure out what wall art we want to go with, and source a nice desk chair as well as a second reading area chair ... so maybe it isn't that complete, but it sure feels a lot more full! And it looks great! Thank you MOM and AMY! So it is the smallest room in the house. Plenty to go. But we'll get there -

It takes time to figure out the best place for everything. And better to take it than rush through the process, don't you think?

I am feeling a little pressure from being 8 weeks out. I would like to have it done by December 10. This is my goal! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment