Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bradley Class 6

Transition > Pushing > Baby in Arms

In this weeks class we discussed transition and the second stage of labor. I must admit that I was surprised to learn about the drastic changes in body temperature and mood that occur in the transition phase. Also, transition is the phase where women most often give into pain medication - which is arguably too bad because you are so close! I haven't been there so I don't know ... but we have some pointers to get me through without caving into the epidural.

  • Ask for an IV of fluid (assuming you are not already on one), take the whole IV and get checked BEFORE asking for the epidural. The IV can speed things along significantly and get you through the scary phase without caving into the drugs.
  • Relaxation techniques: Needs will have totally changed from the first phase of labor, coach will need to remember that he needs to adjust.
  • Remember: More often than not, transition only lasts 30 minutes - Anyone can do 30 minutes!
I was also surprised to learn that I should actually listen to the coaching from the nurses, doctor and/or midwife when pushing to prevent tearing. I don't know why this caught me off guard ... I guess I just assumed that they were looking out for the baby and if you were going to tear you just tore. I have read a lot about the perineum and know that working with (not against) its elasticity will prevent tearing in birth - but it just didn't occur to me that someone from the outside might be able to help me strategize during pushing. It is VERY good to know as I might have just had the screw you I'm doing what my body is telling me to do attitude otherwise.

The inevitable POOP: I was already prepared for the reality of pooping when pushing from reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Luckily Morgan read this too and we had already joked about it. Also, luckily, we do not have a relationship where discussion or the reality of such things is considered taboo. In class this week the reality of the POOP was discussed - and it seems most of my classmates are also going to be able to face this fact. I have had friends who were so mortified by the POOP that they got down to the wire and wouldn't push due to the fear of their husbands knowing or seeing such a terrible thing.

Let me be clear, I'm not excited about this being a part of the birth process, but it is what it is. And it gets taken care of immediately by the staff who are caring for you. And hopefully Morgan will never know - and if he does I know he'll love me anyway and never bring it up. So if you are reading this and POOP is taboo in your life, I recommend facing it now! Besides, POOP will be even more of a reality in our lives after Thriller comes I am sure.

RING OF FIRE: Apparently right before the baby comes you become so hot that you literally will feel like you need to back up off of a heat source at the birth canal. This is often referred to as the "Ring of Fire" and the best way to get through it is to just remember - you're moments away from having your baby in your arms!

I like that part the most. Can't go through the pain, can't go around it - but just go through the ring of fire and meet your child. I think I can handle that!

1 comment:

  1. so i love reading your blog (especially cuz i know nothing of what you speak), but just seeing the word POOP written like that...all caps, has me smiling.

    ReplyDelete