Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Big Baby

As I started off pregnancy on the heavy side, then lost 13-18 pounds in the first trimester due to extreme morning sickness coupled with migraines. I have slowly floated along my pregnancy boasting gleefully that my hips are slimmer. Well, the good news is that my hips are still slimmer.

In my last doctor's appointment I finally gained my first pound, and was honestly a bit relieved to know that the baby was getting bigger. At that appointment Dr. V suggested that I was measuring a little big, but did not seem terribly concerned.

However, in the past two weeks I have put on an additional 4 pounds and am measuring 37 cn - which is where I should be measuring at 37 weeks - meaning that our little Thriller isn't so little! I would like to think that he/she has just had a growth spurt and will balance back out to be within the average size range. Morgan, on the other hand, believes I should not put so much faith into what is considered "average." He is probably right as neither of us is anything like average!

I am also sure that in the past two weeks I have gone through major physical changes. It is much harder for me to get up, I am extremely uncomfortable when sitting down, I can't sleep for longer than 3 hours at a time, bending over is no longer really an option and I have an insatiable thirst for water. What is going to happen as I get bigger? Geez!

Due to the increased size, I am going to have ANOTHER ultrasound on 12/22. This will be my 4th one and I am honestly not very excited about having it due to the concerns about over exposure to the process. At UCSF they clearly told us they were researching and publishing why it is important to have as few ultrasounds as possible and suggested you should have 2 at most unless you are considered high risk. I don't think the fact that Morgan and I made a big baby should come as any surprise to anyone, and I don't think that it makes me high risk - especially considering that everything has been totally normal thus far. But alas we are slaves to the medical profession - we should have the ultrasound in case there is XXX which could mean complications YYY. I like Triangle OBGYN and trust them - I don't think they are just trying to make a buck off of me at Thriller's potential expense - so fingers crossed we don't have any Xs or Ys in a couple of weeks.

At least Morgan will get to come to this one so he'll get another visual. There is the silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment