Friday, January 29, 2010

8 days later ... still no Thriller ... but still laughing

In North Carolina yesterday was the "calm before the storm." There was a high of 65 degrees and it could not have been more beautiful outside which was lovely considering that it is below freezing today and we are looking forward to another week or so of very cold temperatures.

Morgan had a full day and then got us outside. We drove to Chapel Hill to check out a new disc golf course right on campus. This particular course used to be a golf course and it is long and beautiful. We jumped in on the back 9 and Morgan started chatting it up with a very nice guy on the course, and the next thing I new Cooper and I were trailing behind playing in the woods while the boys were going after the course. I personally don't like to throw with other folks because I am so terrible and I needed to entertain Cooper as he is a total freak on the course.

It was a nice walk, lots of hills, etc. I knew that I was only good for 9 holes based on the length of the course and the fact that we had dinner plans at Morgan's cousin Erin's house. However, we did not realize that when we came to the end of the course we would be so far away from where we were parked. Our nice new friend gave us directions and Morgan, Cooper and I trotted away to find our way back to the car and to Erin's house.

The ground along our walk was literally a swamp - muddy as it could be. My shoes were covered in mud, my dog was covered in mud and my jeans were covered in about 3 inches of mud at the bottom. Needless to say our leisurely walk had turned into a complete mess - and in my mind here we are about to go to a dinner party! I was not pleased, but Morgan was keeping me smiling and laughing at our "bog" just the same. I thought I saw a dryer way to walk in the woods, and in my attempt to cut across along the edge of the fairway my shoe got stuck in the mud and came off and now I also had wet, muddy socks. Lovely.

We saw a bridge and dry path and thought we should get on it - although we realized that it would turn us around and take us off the course. We thought we had no choice. We slowly started back up the hill on the dry path and images of what would happen if my water broke and we were lost in the woods at sundown with no jackets and really no idea where we even were started to enter our heads. At this point we look through the woods and see our new friend, who was playing the rest of the course, looking curiously at us and I am sure wondering where in the hell we are going.

On our walk bak down to meet him and get better directions Morgan gets me laughing so hard that my stomach starts to cramp and I start throwing up, which makes me laugh even more because I become convinced that I might actually go into a very muddy labor! Morgan keeps it going, suggesting that he could have delivered Thriller into his fleece vest and then he would have made millions writing a book about the experience.

We meet our new friend in the bog and realize that we were only about 100 yards from the parking lot that whole time. More laughter. More puking. More cramping.

We had to cancel dinner with Erin as by this point I was really a total mess and feeling pretty bad from all the puking and cramping. I did let myself get excited, however, thinking that this could be it! Our car ride home was very uncomfortable and I was getting very hopeful! But alas, we came home and the cramping and puking subsided and there is no baby Thriller.

We go and see the doctor later this morning and I'll find out if that cramping meant anything as far as dilation goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment