Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Human Kidness

When Morgan and I moved to California I remember that I was very frustrated by the fact that people would not look at you when you passed them on the street or sat by them on the bus in San Francisco. There was a sudden cultural element of being on your own that caught me off guard. As we developed amazing friendships in California a network of support grew that helped me move past feeling alone and we continue to be supported by that network today - even from afar. We are very blessed.

Moving back to the southeast and being pregnant has, however, reacquainted me with not only the kindness of family and friends, but also that of strangers. I know I am 9 months pregnant so people are just being more helpful at the grocery store, etc - but really, I am feeling very blessed. Family has spent countless hours and resources helping us move in and sharing resources to make our home, friends have traveled from far and wide to come and visit, we have nearly everything we need from gifts to be ready for the baby ... the list goes on!

Most notably I have been taken in by a local prenatal massage therapist. I went to her before the holidays for what would be my one budgeted massage and she felt like i was in such bad shape that she insisted that I come back yesterday, free of charge, because she would worry about me. I cannot in any way shape or form afford to continue this tradition, but she keeps insisting that I come back so I am scheduled for next week and she had offered to help us in labor if we need it (if the baby is OP we'll be taking her up on that for sure!) I am just blown away by her compassion and really very grateful as I was, in fact, suffering and her support is making a tremendous difference.

I like to think of myself as a good person, but I do think that city living made me a little self interested. I am currently feeling so blessed - it honestly makes me want to be a better person - and more importantly show Thriller how to be a better person early on.

Thank you family, friends and strangers for bringing such kindness back into focus in our lives!


No comments:

Post a Comment