Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thriller Watch Update

Yesterday we went into the DR for a stress test, fluid measuring and exam ... and more importantly to figure out what the next steps are IF I do not go into labor. Initially Triangle told us they would let us go approx 10 days after the due date - but it was clear that there could be a few days here or there based on the situation and considering that we know my ovulation date is off as I quite my birth control in the middle of a cycle/package and was pregnant 10 days later. I have felt confident that if we got to this point we would be able to do what is best and not be pushed around.

That all being said, I was extremely anxious going into the doctor yesterday. I had a terrible dream, was up at 6 am in tears, and generally just really worried. We got to the office and we went into the stress test - basically I laid back in a giant recliner and had probes belted onto me. I could see the monitor and print out from where I was sitting and could hear the baby's heart beat in the room. The heart beat was the best part! However, the print out was depressing. The top line represented contractions, and it was flat as flat could be, but at least it was accompanied by the baby's heartbeat on the second line, which was strong and healthy.

Morgan was there with me and decided it would be a good time to try some relaxation exercises from our Bradley class as the whole thing was making me so on edge. He was right, and just as we were about to turn to violet in our meditation sequence Dr. V walked in to check on us and move us to another room, suggesting calmly as we moved over that it was probably time to bite the bullet and talk about induction.

I completely froze. I had so much to say - so many questions - ideas - etc but I lost them all. Dr. V is super mellow, easy to talk to, listens, not judgmental - pretty much I just really trust and like him. And I lost my nerve to start using all of the skills we have learned in Bradley and all of the knowledge we have gathered to be able to talk about what we want. Luckily my dear husband did not.

Dr. V checked the fluid levels and placenta via ultrasound and then did my exam - no progress from the past 2 to 3 weeks - still effaced, still ripe, still a fingertip dilated. Then he left for me to get dressed again and came back in to chat with us about our plan. Morgan asked all the questions and talked to him about our hopes and got us a full 2 weeks past the due date so we are scheduled to go in next week. I was a deer caught in headlights. Good doctor, tell me what to do. Jesus, you would NOT think I had not spent the past nine months preparing for this!

After Morgan and Dr. V worked out the details and the appointment was made with the hospital Dr. V looked directly at me and softly asked "I know you have questions" and then I was slowly able to start talking again.

So the plan is as follows:

(Hopefully go into labor on my own)
IF NOT then,
7:30 PM on Wed Feb 3 check into WakeMed Cary
Have Foley Bulb Inset - basically a bulb is put into my cervix and air is blown in to try and open it up some more
Spend the night at the hospital, maybe go into labor :)
6:00 AM on Thurs Feb 4 - Foley Bulb removed (unless it has fallen out), water broken, pitocin started
Hopefully have the baby before approx 10 pm, after 10 pm start thinking about c-section

Okay. Not what we want to happen, but all things being equal, pretty much the best back up plan we could possibly ask for. I feel totally confident in the support of my Dr, which is key, and trust him completely. I feel totally confident in my coach - Morgan really came through yesterday as such a knowledgeable and great communicator! Feeling his support and the fact that he is so in tune with me to know when to step in and take over (note that I generally have a hard time letting go control) makes me know that once we get into labor, whenever or however that happens, all I have to do is focus on me and Thriller and Morgan will be able to take care of everything else.

I feel relaxed and supported and loved. All and all not a bad place to be. Maybe this state of mind will kick in my labor!

No comments:

Post a Comment